+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First 3D PlayStation 3 games

Default First 3D PlayStation 3 games

As you guys may already know, I'm currently testing two 3D plasma TVs (from Samsung and Panasonic) for the upcoming Aug/Sept 2010 issue of CANADA HiFi.

It couldn't have happened at a better time, but a few days ago the first 3D games were released for the PS3 for download from the PlayStation network. They include WipEout HD, Super Stardust HD, MotoStorm Pacific Rift (playable demo) and PAIN (add-on).

From all the content I've seen so far (which really isn't all that much), computer animated movies (like Astro Boy) and video games offer the most added value in the new 3D format.

The 3D effect elevates the enjoyment of video games in particular to a whole new level! I've always been a big fan of car racing games and MotoStorm Pacific Rift in 3D looks just incredible. This was an amazing game in 2D, but in 3D there is a whole new depth to the realism, bring it that much closer to the real thing.

Super Stardust HD on the other hand is a rather simple game, with simple graphics. However the 3D effect is used very cleverly in this game and again raises the enjoyment of this game to a new height.

If this is what the future of video gaming holds... I AM SO IN!

I've been watching coverage of the E3 (video game show) on TV for the last couple of games and yesterday Sony announced a whole slew of 3D games coming out later this year. The two of particular interest to me are Killzone 3 and Gran Turismo 5.

Any thoughts from you guys on gaming in 3D?
    Suave Kajko | Westside Publishing Ltd. | 416-767-2495
    Publisher | CANADA HiFi Magazine | www.canadahifi.com
    President | TAVES | www.taveshow.com
    Gate Keeper | Guydster | www.guydster.com

Having the good fortune to have both a 3DTV and a PS3 I could not agree more. The current 3 demos on Sony's PS3 do show what is possible with 3D in gaming, the real test will be to see what the studios come up with when they create a game with 3D as a primary focus. Some of the scenes in Motor Cross Pacific Rim covered the gamut from amazing to cheesy low res cartoon. I played the demo in both 3D and 2D and could not detect any 3D based lag in gameplay, but I might have been distracted by the 3D scenery .
    Telling your PS3 that you have a 3D TV needs to be spelled out, I am sure there are a few gamers out there that have updated the software but are unaware of just how to select the 3D option. Once that is done, the 3D options on the games become available. I turned on the gaming mode on my PNC8000 and turned up the cell light and brightness. 3D mode is a bit darker and you can overcome this easily with a few tweeks.
    I too hope that 3D gaming does its part in helping with the adoption of this format. There are currently only two movie titles as of now, it would be nice to get a hold of the manufacturers demo Blue Rays but I leave that to folks like you on this forum.

Hello LesIsTechSavy and welcome to the forum! It's great to have another member who owns a 3D TV here We're not a very large group just yet but if all goes well there will be many new 3D TV owners by the end of this year as more content comes out.

Some of the scenes in Motor Cross Pacific Rim covered the gamut from amazing to cheesy low res cartoon. I played the demo in both 3D and 2D and could not detect any 3D based lag in gameplay, but I might have been distracted by the 3D scenery
    I completely agree with your comments here. And while the 3D games demos have some quirks, we have to realize that this is first generation 3D stuff and there is lot that can be done to improve the experience. We live in a very lucky time, where a lot of bugs and improvements can be made via firmware upgrades instead of having to buy a new TV.

Personally, I'm dying to play Gran Turismo in 3D. I'm a huge fan of racing games .

Telling your PS3 that you have a 3D TV needs to be spelled out, I am sure there are a few gamers out there that have updated the software but are unaware of just how to select the 3D option.
    I know what you mean. When I downloaded the latest PS3 firmware update, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the option to play the games in 3D. But then I located the option that had to be turned on in the PS3's menu system and then the 3D option automatically appeared in the games.

The one thing that I have noticed, while playing these 3 games in 3D, is that the PS3 has to work pretty hard to render the games in 3D. The fans spin much faster than they do with any 2D games - the PS3 sounds almost as loud as my Xbox 360, which is quite annoying... I wouldn't be surprised if a new, more powerful PS3 is already in the pipeline.

Here is hoping that the 3D group grows as this year comes to a close. The 3D Grand Turismo should be sic, its all set to go apprently and so is my racing wheele I am waiting for Killzone 3D and some of the games they showed at E3. I will have a listen to the fan noise you mentioned, I have a launch PS3 so it runs hot and my 320GB HD does not help.

I think the good thing about devices today, is that they have upgradeable firmware, my PS3 is now a 3D Blue Ray Gaming soon to be a 3D Movie machine, neither of which existed when I bought it . The Samsung PNC8000 is also software upgradable so future proofing is now possible to some extent and that is good for early adopters and new formats as well.

I think the good thing about devices today, is that they have upgradeable firmware, my PS3 is now a 3D Blue Ray Gaming soon to be a 3D Movie machine, neither of which existed when I bought it . The Samsung PNC8000 is also software upgradable so future proofing is now possible to some extent and that is good for early adopters and new formats as well.
    These are really great points LesIsTechSavy! It's no longer so "dangerous" to be an early adopter - which is awesome for guys like us that want to sink our teeth into the latest gear The PS3 is an incredible example of hardware that has become so much more than what it was when initially launched. Samsung has already release a number of firmware updates for its 3D TVs to improve performance and will hopefully continue to do so.

Just saw a review for the next Motor Storm franchise from Sony. The format will need these type of immersive gaming experience to give 3D gaming and by default 3D TV a reason for being. Check out the brief review. http://kotaku.com/5618338/motorstorm...believer-of-me

The format will need these type of immersive gaming experience to give 3D gaming and by default 3D TV a reason for being.
    Agreed LesIsTechSavy! This is especially true if 3D gaming/movie watching can be made immersive enough that the user "forgets" that they are using 3D glasses and just enjoys the content

BTW - I found a little video the same site as you mention above that explains how the new Nintendo 3DS works to provide a 3D picture without using glasses. Anyone interested can check it out here:
    http://kotaku.com/5611892/how-3d-on-...actually-works

Play Station Store has a few 3D goodies for the offing. You can download for free the 3D trailer, its the one they showed the audience at E3 earlier this year. There is also a free 3D patch for "Pain" gamers. I took the bite an bought the full version of MotorStorm 3D Rift. The first track is what was shown on the playable demo with 6 additional tracks. There is one additional track that you can play at the get go, but the other 5 require you to earn points (place in the race) to advance. At $9.99 Canadian, it seems like an inexpensive way to kill some 3D time

My initial review; the gameplay is similar to other MotorStorm franchise offerings, with the one thing I noticed, you speed and crash and you self destruct, its not very forgiving. You do get to see it in 3rd person view in 3D The 3D did not help my gameplay any, I only played 3 times and was that close to third place before I self destructed on a rock before the finish line The second track does a better job of 3D than the track we saw on the demo, I hope this is an indication that the 3D learning curve for programers is steep. If SONY keeps the prices low until the format hits the ground and we will all be happy at the end of the day )
    Last edited by LesIsTechSavy; 08-28-2010 at 11:31 AM.

I wasn't aware that the MotorStorm 3D Rift ("fuller" game) was available for download - thanks for letting me know! I'm downloading mine as I'm writing this $10 sounds reasonable enough to me.

I was just showing the playable 3D demo of MotorStorm on Friday night to a couple of friends and they both loved it. I'm very curious to see if any improvements have been made from the demo to this full version.

I should have some time to try the game out this evening and I'll post my comments then.

I spent about 40 minutes playing MotorStorm 3D Rift last night and I have to say that it just awesome - definitely not perfect but definitely awesome

The tracks get so much more exciting after passing the first one. The depth of the 3D picture goes a long way to creating a breathtaking experience when jumping off any of the big ramps. Many of the big jumps gave me the sensation of loosing my stomach!!! While it's true that this can also happen in the 2D version of this game, in the 3D version it's just that much better.

The terrains in this game also look incredible in 3D. The different depths of the various layers of the terrains and nothing shy of spectacular at times - and add a natural, realistic feel to the gameplay.

There are a couple of flaws in the 3D picture however: there is a fair bit of image cross-talk and some parts of the picture flicker. But given that this is one of the first generation 3D games, hopefully such picture artifacts won't be present in future game releases.

Either way, this game truly makes me think that 3D games have the potential power to make 3D at home finally catch on

By the way, I just learned that all PS3 3D games are 720p (and none are 1080p) since the 3D picture requires much more intensive processing power. In fact, I noticed that the PS3 fan spins much faster when playing any of the 3D stuff than it does when playing 2D stuff. Perhaps Sony will announce a new playstation soon?!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast