+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Room

I saw that Suave! I'm really looking forward to the show, and I will bring a wallet!
    John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!

Hey John, how are things? I was thinking of throwing on a few pics of the 2 channel set up and want to do it the preferred way like you did. Instead of attachments. Being a bit of a computer newb, whats the easiest way if I have pics of my BB.

Hi Doug,

Instead of just replying to a post, I went into GO ADVANCED option and used the Paperclip symbol to upload the pic.

hamilton02 - you can find simple instructions for posting pics here: http://canadahifi.com/forum/showthre...=1887#post1887
    Suave Kajko | Westside Publishing Ltd. | 416-767-2495
    Publisher | CANADA HiFi Magazine | www.canadahifi.com
    President | TAVES | www.taveshow.com
    Gate Keeper | Guydster | www.guydster.com

Default Added a Graphic Equalizer!

I've been hemming and hawing (sp?) about what to do with my amplification this past year, and thought that I may like to go top notch tube IA with the Audio Research VSi60. I still would like to, but I must remain realistic for now as those funds would be difficult to part with.

So for now I've decided to focus in on trying to put together a vintage system, based on my Pioneer SA-9500II Integrated Amplifier. The first step in that process was to secure a Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer. EQ you say? Yes, an EQ! I think it would be a neat thing to experiment with on those recordings that I feel are somewhat lacking from poor mastering. I know it's a "fake" way of compensating for it, but I think it'll be fun and would probably allow me to enjoy those dics a little more.

A little earlier today I stepped back from an opportunity to buy a Pioneer SPEC-4 Power amp (150w/p/c). The seller wanted a bit too much for it, and his price was firm. No matter as they come up occasionally and I am a man of patience. I should be able to secure one this year fairly easily.

After that the hunt will be on for a Pioneer 10" Reel-to-Reel recorder (preferably), but I need to do some more research on the models that were made. I will also look at Technics and others if a deal can be had.

Enough of my ramblings. Here's a shot of the EQ that I took from CAM. I will try to take a pic today to show you how it looks in my rack.

Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer.jpg

I've had the vintage bug for a while but have not acted on it yet, sweet EQ you scored!

I also scored a Pioneer SX-727 for FREE. Thing is in almost mint condition. All the lights are fully operational and switches, knobs are working as they should. Even the side/top wood panels have very little wear. Picked up a pair of StudioLab speakers for $100 as well. Again, really, really nice condition with practicially no wear and tear. Need to bring out one of my Revolver TT's now and I'll have a nice secondary setup. Here's some pics!

002.jpgStudioLab.jpgRevolver Rebel.jpg

Thanks for the pics John! I love the look of some of the vintage audio gear and have always thought about setting up a vintage system somewhere in the house myself - if I could only find an extra room somewhere

The Pioneer receiver and EQ will look great together. You should post a pic of the complete system once you've got it all together!
    Suave Kajko | Westside Publishing Ltd. | 416-767-2495
    Publisher | CANADA HiFi Magazine | www.canadahifi.com
    President | TAVES | www.taveshow.com
    Gate Keeper | Guydster | www.guydster.com

I'll post some pics for sure once I decide where to put it. I've got a few options and I'm trying to work out which of those would be best.

Made some more changes to my setup, and a few more are coming.

I purchased a used PS Audio 4.6 preamp that I'm using as a passive phonoamp. The improvement was dramatic and I never realized how truly noisy my old setup was. I'm exaggerating a bit here, but the noise floor did drop substantially and I can't be happier with this addition. Since my Pioneer SA-9500II Integrated Amp has now kind of become redundant (I'm using it as a Power Amp now), the chances of me selling it and getting a dedicated Power amp are high. I've already started doing some research, so we'll see what I end with it.

I also just concluded a transaction on CAM for an Ortofon 2M Black MM cartridge. My temporary Sumiko Pearl will be put out to pasture. Additionally, I'll be ordering the Pete Riggle VTAF as my Nottingham/Rega combo TT setup does not allow for VTA. The only thing left is a new tonearm, which I would love to be able to secure next year. After that I think I'm done with my vinyl rig as far as upgrades are concerned.

I've taken the Pioneer EQ out of my system as I just wasn't finding any real benefit from it. It'll be going up for sale shortly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast